The Daily Mail is not my favourite newspaper, even though there are many people who do like it. It has a “Little Englander” attitude which grates on the nerves and has a clear list of “villains” who it regularly castigates as representative of the evils which bedevil the United Kingdom/England today.
In the words of Dermot O’Leary, “in no particular order”, they include:-
- Tony Blair;
- The BBC;
- Politicians who are not Conservatives;
- The BBC;
- Benefit claimants scroungers;
- Female celebrities who look fat (or who, to a more rational mind, look human);
- Lindsey Lohan;
- Trades Unions;
- Companies which do not pay taxes;
- Supporters of Scottish independence;
- Cherie Blair;
- Irish Nationalist politicians;
- Muslims; (Whilst clearly the Mail cannot hate or fear every follower of Islam, they only seem to get mentioned in the paper in the context of terrorism and destruction of the “British way of life”).
- The BBC. (The Mail really does not like the BBC).
It was therefore not a surprise to see the Mail’s reaction to the decision of the European Court of Human Rights in relation to the application by three prisoners sentenced to “whole life” tariffs for murder. Continue reading